Summer is just around the corner and you’ve probably got a lot of plans to maximize your enjoyment of the weather! One thing that can put a real damper on summer fun is an air conditioner that’s not cooperating.
That’s why we put together this blog so you can be aware of potential AC problems right when they start to get a jump on calling us for AC repair in Lansing, MI.
Having AC problems addressed right away is important for 2 reasons. The first is that it will hopefully keep a minor issue from becoming a major repair. The second is that it guards against a complete breakdown in service. Let’s take a look at 5 common AC issues and what’s usually behind them.
1. Strange Noises and Smells
Unusual smells and noises are a clear indicator that something is amiss. Especially if those noises are particularly grating and the smells are extra stinky. Here are some signs that warrant calling us for repairs:
- The acrid smell of burning electrical parts could mean a number of things from a mechanical problem with the compressor or fan, a wiring issue, or an electrical component that has gone bad
- Bubbling and hissing sounds can indicate that refrigerant is leaking from the system. Refrigerant is a toxic substance and you should have this looked at right away to protect your health.
- Grinding, screeching, and metal-on-metal noises can mean a lack of lubrication or a loose part
- Banging and clanging could be a part that has come loose and is banging around inside the system
2. The Air Coming From the Vents Isn’t Cold
Your AC should emit cold air so when that air is lukewarm, that’s an issue. You might not notice at first but you’ll realize your home is taking longer to get to the desired temperature or it might not reach it at all. Lukewarm air is a sign of a refrigerant leak or thermostat issue.
3. No Air Is Coming From the Vents
This is hard not to notice and the issue is likely caused by the blower fan. This is the component in your AC that sends the cooled air through the vents and into the rooms of your home. The blower fan may need to be replaced.
4. The System Is Short Cycling
Short cycling is apparent by the sound of your AC turning on, running for a short while, then shutting off again. It keeps doing this in a vicious cycle. The problem could be a clogged air filter, low refrigerant, or frozen evaporator coils. Give us a call as soon as possible. When left unchecked, short cycling can cause a lot of damage to your AC.
5. Ice on the Condenser
If you notice ice growing on any part of your air conditioner, there’s one thing you can do that may be causing it. Check the air filter and see if it’s clogged and dirty. If so, replace it and see if that remedies the problem. If it doesn’t help, you could have a refrigerant leak.
Contact A-1 Mechanical Heating & Cooling for your next AC repair in Lansing, MI. Comfort and Character You Can Depend On!